Bulletin of the ENTS, Volume 10, Issue 1, for 2015

Discussions related to the Bulletin of the Eastern Native Tree Society and copies of the most recent issues.

Moderators: edfrank, dbhguru

#1)  Bulletin of the ENTS, Volume 10, Issue 1, for 2015

Postby DonCBragg » Wed Dec 30, 2015 8:02 am

_B_ENTS_v10_01_sec1_CP.jpg

_B_ENTS_v10_01.pdf

(3.5 MiB) Downloaded 342 times

TABLE OF CONTENTS

Next Up!?.............................................................................................................................1
       Don C. Bragg, Research Forester, USDA Forest Service

ANNOUNCEMENTS AND SOCIETY ACTIONS
       New Opportunities for Serious Tree Measurers-The National Cadre.......................................................2
       American Forests Champion Trees Measuring Guidelines Handbook.......................................................2

FEATURE ARTICLES
       How to Use a Monocular With a Reticle to Measure Trunk Diameter, Limb Segments,
               and Trunk Frustrum Volume.....................................................................................................3
               Robert T. Leverett (Native Tree Society) and Michael Taylor (Western Native Tree Society)

FOUNDER'S CORNER
       How Many Big Tree Lists? .......................................................................................................14
               Robert T. Leverett, Native Tree Society

INSTRUCTIONS FOR CONTRIBUTORS............................................................................................15

For this message the author DonCBragg has received Likes :
Will Blozan
DonCBragg

Has Liked: 1 times
Has Been Liked: 37 times
Print view this post

#2)  Re: Bulletin of the ENTS, Volume 10, Issue 1, for 2015

Postby edfrank » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:01 pm

Thank you Don.  I posted it to the website.
"I love science and it pains me to think that so many are terrified of the subject or feel that choosing science means you cannot also choose compassion, or the arts, or be awe by nature. Science is not meant to cure us of mystery, but to reinvent and revigorate it." by Robert M. Sapolsky
edfrank
Site Admin

{ IMAGES }: 0
Has Liked: 915 times
Has Been Liked: 703 times
Blog: View Blog (3)
Print view this post

#3)  Re: Bulletin of the ENTS, Volume 10, Issue 1, for 2015

Postby Don » Sat Feb 06, 2016 10:15 pm

And thanks go to D.Bragg, W.Blozan, R.Leverett, and you, Ed for your collective roles in the publication of this worthy periodical!!!
-D.Bertolette
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org
Don

Has Liked: 69 times
Has Been Liked: 225 times
Print view this post

#4)  Re: Bulletin of the ENTS, Volume 10, Issue 1, for 2015

Postby Joe » Sun Feb 07, 2016 7:21 am

Don Bragg, I see in the bulletin that you were/are Editor-in-Chief of the Journal of Forestry. Has there ever been a mention of the NTS in the Journal?

By the way, though many articles in the Journal are well written- as a private sector consulting forester since the mid '70s, I've always felt that there wasn't much in the Journal that was relevant to me. It seemed that the articles had little to do with the world I lived in. I seldom if ever saw any serious critiques of the profession. There certainly is a lot wrong with forestry- but you wouldn't know it by reading the Journal. The conclusion of most consultants I know is that it's a journal for professors and SAF big shots and the really big industry people. This is certainly not a criticism of you- as you can only edit what people send you.

Then in the '90s came along the Forest Guild. The first several issues of their journal were fabulous- written mostly by people like me- with similar concerns and problems- that is, dealing with mediocre state burreacracies, dealing with difficult loggers, how to survive as a field forester- which career is usually seen as the bottom of the profession. Then, after a few years, the Guild lost its way- though I do have the only Guild Model Forest in Mass.

Now, the only forestry "journal" I can relate to is The Northern Logger. The articles in it are "down and dirty" about the realities of working in the forests- written mostly for loggers but also relevant to consultants who work with those loggers- because the articles are about rapidly changing markets, about machinery, about the daily difficulties of working in the woods- and written in a "plain old Yankee English", easy to read and without pretension.

I suppose it can be said that if most "professional foresters" work in "big government" and "big companies" or are professors- then the SAF Journal is for them- but then, that's why so many private sector foresters with small companies or consultants don't bother with the SAF.

In the late '90s and for several years- I got into some intense debates with some of the top SAF "leaders" at that time, along with the late Karl Davies, a consultant from Northampton, MA. We really rocked the boat back then- and several times we were simply locked out of the SAF list serve. I was amazed then how little about the real world some of the top people were aware of. One SAF President from NY state- told me that high grading didn't exist in NY state! Yet, a logger I know from NY state said it's great working in NY because it's so easy to "hammer forests" compared to Mass. I know I was rather sarcastic at times but it seemed to be necessary to get some points across. The humor in my sarcasm was never seen- as, in general, the discussions were humorless and often anti "tree hugger"  as if the tree hugger type was the biggest problem foresters faced. (Bob Leverett was a witness to these "debates" because I usually cc'd the messages to him)

Anyway, again, this isn't a critique of you- but I thought I needed to mention my displeasure with the SAF. I might say more if anybody shows an interest to keep this discussion going, but maybe it's not a good place for it.
Joe
Joe

Has Liked: 0 times
Has Been Liked: 171 times
Print view this post

#5)  Re: Bulletin of the ENTS, Volume 10, Issue 1, for 2015

Postby Don » Sun Feb 07, 2016 8:34 pm

Has there ever been a mention of the NTS in the Journal?
Guess you didn't read it much over the last 10 years...but you're right, it wasn't intended to deal extensively with non-industrial private forestry. It's no wonder it didn't address your audience's topics...
Don Bertolette - President/Moderator, WNTS BBS
Restoration Forester (Retired)
Science Center
Grand Canyon National Park

BJCP Apprentice Beer Judge

View my Alaska Big Tree List Webpage at:
http://www.akbigtreelist.org
Don

Has Liked: 69 times
Has Been Liked: 225 times
Print view this post

#6)  Re: Bulletin of the ENTS, Volume 10, Issue 1, for 2015

Postby DonCBragg » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:37 am

Joe--Sorry for the slow response; I've not been good about keeping up with the NTS BBS in recent months.  I am still the editor-in-chief of the Journal of Forestry, and we have had a few occasions to put in a plug for the NTS and the sine method during my tenure (including a short article I wrote several years ago now).  SAF made a strategic decision years ago to parse out the various elements of its communication program differently in its journals/newsletters, so the Journal of Forestry became more of a scientific/technical research outlet, with some effort to be more practical/management focused, with the hard-core science in Forest Science (which now includes the regional journals of applied forestry).  Most of the articles you are referring to now appear in the monthly Forestry Source newspaper or weekly e-Forester email update.  We do have a place for some of the more practical aspects of forestry still in the Journal of Forestry, though, through our Practice of Forestry, Field Notes, Exploring the Roots, Picture the Past, and commentary/discussion article types, although we don't get nearly the number of submissions to those as we need...I'm not sure where people think these kinds of articles come from--if they are not sent in to us by contributing foresters and others, we don't have a staff of people generating them on our own!

Sorry I don't have a better answer for how SAF does not meet the needs of small private consultants...I know they have staff working on that, but if people take themselves out of the mix, it is hard to imagine their having representation in SAF...
DonCBragg

Has Liked: 1 times
Has Been Liked: 37 times
Print view this post

Return to Bulletin of the Eastern Native Tree Society